As a parent or guardian, your top priority is your child’s well-being and health. Therefore, in order to help your little one maintain their beautiful smile, you must be informed about the various treatments at your disposal when an issue arises.
One particularly versatile and highly successful treatment is placing a dental crown over top of a tooth that’s been damaged. Essentially a customized cap, this prosthetic can be provided to patients of all ages to help repair its shape, size, and function, as well as its appearance.
If you have any inquiries about dental crowns and whether this is an appropriate approach for your child, please contact our dentist in Saskatoon today.
How Dental Crowns Safeguard Your Child’s Smile
Dental crowns are a common yet effective solution when it comes to preserving your child’s dental health and smile. Here’s are some of the many benefits they offer:
- Restoring Structure: Dental crowns are like protective helmets for damaged, decayed, or weakened teeth, restoring their structural integrity.
- Durability: They offer exceptional strength, ideal for active children, ensuring treated teeth can endure everyday activities.
- Protection: Crowns act as barriers, sealing teeth against harmful bacteria and preventing further decay or damage.
- Aesthetics: Designed to look natural, they preserve both function and appearance.
- Prolonged Life: By preserving teeth, crowns ensure baby teeth remain functional until permanent ones arrive.
You must schedule a preliminary consultation with a dentist near you so they can examine your kiddo’s oral cavity, take x-rays, and ask questions about their hygiene habits; this information allows them to establish a clear picture of what they need and recommend the most suitable treatment, whether it’s a dental crown or not.
When Do Children Need Them?
Children and adults alike may be advised to acquire a dental crown for any of the following reasons:
- Severe Decay: A dental crown may be the best option if a child’s tooth has significant decay that is too great for a standard filling.
- Broken Teeth: A crown can help bring back the beauty of a tooth that has been broken, cracked, or chipped in your child.
- Root Canal Therapy: A dental crown is frequently inserted following a root canal procedure to reinforce and protect the treated tooth.
- Protection for Baby Teeth: In some circumstances, crowns may be necessary for baby teeth to maintain functionality until permanent teeth are ready to occupy their place.
Which Crowns Are Perfect For Children?
Your child’s age, unique dental requirements, and personal preferences all play a role in selecting the best dental crown. Typically, pediatric dentists suggest the following options:
Crowns made of stainless steel are known for their durability and suitability for use on infant teeth. They are quite durable and provide good protection.
- Zirconia Crowns: These crowns are renowned for being strong and looking natural. Both baby and permanent teeth can be them.
- Porcelain-Fused-to-Metal Crowns: These crowns are a fantastic alternative for front tooth restoration because they combine metal’s strength with a natural porcelain surface.
- All-Ceramic Crowns: These crowns are famous for older children and teenagers due to their strength and aesthetic appeal.
Dental crowns in Saskatoon are like protective shields for your child’s teeth, ensuring they remain strong and beautiful. With the proper care and guidance from professionals near you, your child’s smile is in excellent hands.
Are Crowns For Children Painful?
One of the parents’ most common concerns is whether the process of acquiring dental crowns near you will hurt or cause discomfort. The process itself is typically painless, thanks to local anesthesia, which numbs the target area. Your child may experience some mild soreness afterwards, which is usually tolerable and, more importantly, temporary.
Choosing the right dentist near you is crucial when it comes to looking after your kiddo’s smile. They need to feel at ease and safe when sitting in the dentist’s chair. The best pediatric dentists or dental specialists will understand how to approach their patients and empower them about their treatment.
Brighton Dental Will Make Your Smile Shine
Your child’s beautiful smile is our priority. The team here at our local dental clinic recognize that it’s critical to locate a reputable dentist in Saskatoon who possesses experience working with little ones. We are here to assist your child in attaining a smile they will be proud of.
Please call or email us today to set up a restorative dental consultation for more information as to whether a dental crown, filling, or alternative service is the right choice for your child.
We hope to see you soon!